This is a really quick and easy recipe to do. It does require 5 minutes prep, but if you can remember in the morning before you go out, then when you get home you’ll reap the rewards.
Note: If using Spelt, this recipe is not suitable for people with wheat or gluten allergies. For those allergic to nuts please be aware that this meal contains no tree nuts but does contain coconut.
Spelt (or if on the elimination go with Quinoa)
Creating the marinade
- Slice the chicken into thin strips and generously coat in coconut oil
- Slice the onion and peppers into thin strips
- Chop the mint very finely
- Place all the ingredients in bowl and mix together
- Cover with clingfilm or transfer to a bag and place in the fridge
Cooking the stir fry
As everything is already done for you, all you have to do is transfer the contents to a wok and stir fry gently until the chicken is cooked throughout (approximately 15 mins). However, the timing of cooking this depends on whether you rip open a packet of the merchant gourmet spelt (60 secs) or cook the grains from scratch (60 mins).
- Place spelt berries into a colander. Rinse thoroughly under running water.
- Place rinsed berries into a pot. Add water (the ratio of water to grain should be three parts water to one part spelt). Add a few pinches of sea salt to the pot.
- Place the pot on a burner over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. After the water reaches a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer until the grain is tender. This generally takes 50 to 60 minutes. Once the Chicken is cooked, add the spelt to the pan and wok all the goodness together before serving. If you use a rip-open pack this is a quick 15 minute dinner.